Our First Days of School (Even School's First Day of School)

I welcomed the entire school back with one of my favorite summer reads - School's First Day of School by Adam Rex and illustrated by Christian Robinson.  I loved how the personification of the school paralleled my emotions as I approach a new year.  When we were done reading I had students choose related activities.  On large paper students completed the sentence "If I could be an inanimate object I would be..."  Some responded in writing while others drew a response.


The preferred activity was the emoji response to the statement, "On the first day of school I felt..."





Responding with emojis was very motivating.  I surely will revisit this again!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reading Identity: Who am I as a reader?

Books as mirrors and windows (with sticky notes & reflections)!

Emoji Book Titles