Hopes and Dreams for Library This Year (Grades 3-5)

This week with my 3rd-5th grade classes we established our “hopes and dreams” for library this year.  As a responsive classroom school, this is an important part of the structure of our class.  The last two weeks established expectations and routines and now I was ready to move us forward.  


After sharing our personal reading, I read Dan Yaccarino’s I am a Story



and shared that my hope and dream is that I will help students find books that will “stay with them” this year in library.  I wish to help students find books that they can connect with.  Our two activities were created to help me do this.  

First, I had students work independently or with a small group to brainstorm books that they felt we needed in our library.  

According to this student, all we need are Raina Telgemeier books!

I like to gather this information from the students in the fall so I have time (and money) to do just that.  While I like to think that I am on top of the latest trends and book releases, a new series book always manages to sneak by me. Having the kids do this is a great exercise for them to think about their reading interests and for me to spend our money accordingly.


Next, students were asked to fill out a sticky note about their personal hopes and dreams for library this year.  

Reasonable "Hopes and Dreams" that I would like to make a reality

Some not-so realistic hopes, but one can dream... (Those WERE the directions).



Initially, I presented these activities on my posted agenda and gave them free reign to accomplish these tasks and get their books when they were done.  I quickly determined that this was too much freedom.  Starting with my second class, I built in a “check in.”  I had students collect their paper from me and tell me whether they are working independently or with a group so they can get to work quickly (and not wander “looking for a group.”)  Once the book brainstorm was completed, I had students "check in" with me again and choose a sticky note (there were four different colors).  This gave them some inspiration to get it done.  The following classes moved much more successfully through these tasks.  Students that accomplished all of the above could read or explore Wonderopolis.

I am thrilled that we have identified books that we need and hopes that we have for our year. Onward!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reading Identity: Who am I as a reader?

Books as mirrors and windows (with sticky notes & reflections)!

Emoji Book Titles