Mirrors and Windows

The focus of our school in November is empathy.  To prepare, I had our 1st-3rd graders look at books as "mirrors" and "windows."

Day 1

I shared some mirror books with students, demonstrating how certain books:

looked like me as a child.

reminded me of me dancing everywhere (from Angelina Ballerina).

shared my favorite food. (from Saffron Ice Cream)

took place in a favorite place of mine (from Saffron Ice Cream).


I asked students to find a mirror book and bring it to the rug.  I asked students to share their mirror books with us and what makes it a mirror book.

My mirror book looks like me.

This is a mirror book because I have fun friends.

This is a mirror book because I am sneaky.

This is a mirror book because my dog looks like this.
After sharing, students had the option to take their book home.  Many students DID choose to take this book home.


Day 2

I shared my window book (which also happened to be one of my mirror books).



We read Saffron Ice Cream and drew a window around our faces every time we had a "window moment."  We drew windows when the family went to the beach on the subway, we drew windows for saffron ice cream, and we drew windows when the family was segregated by gender on the beach.  We noted how we didn't all make windows in the same places.  We also talked about how this book was both a mirror AND a window for me.  Then I challenged students to find a window book to check out.  We met on the rug to share.

This is my window book because I am not a superhero.

This is my window book because I am not fresh like Junie B. Jones.
 We passed the window around a circle.  Only 1 or 2 students per class chose to "pass."  The prop greatly helped demonstrate this concept and inspire students to share.  I think this would have been a very different experience without the excitement of the window.

My takeaways


We wrapped up class reflecting on what mirror and window books do for us and to us.  Students could explain the difference between the types of books but had a difficult time communicating what that meant for them as readers and human beings.  I tried leading them there in several ways, but can't say we had a great discussion about this.  One 2nd grade group communicated their thoughts well:


I wonder what will happen when at some point I do this lesson with my 4th and 5th grade students.  I am curious to see if they can communicate what mirror and window books do for and to them as readers and humans.

Related posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reading Identity: Who am I as a reader?

Books as mirrors and windows (with sticky notes & reflections)!

Emoji Book Titles