Open Library - Recess Programming in our Library



Winter is here.  The temperature is sometimes too low for our students to go outside for recess.  When it snows, we don't have space cleared outside for kids to play.  These means long periods of indoor recess.  This is a perfect opportunity to invite students into the library.  Typically we have a very busy Lunch Bunch program, but the change of season warranted a change of program.  With a supportive principal who releases me from lunch/recess duty to offer additional programming, I was on my way to extending our library into recess time.

I want students to feel welcome in the library.  I want them to embrace it as a place of comfort, excitement, escape, whatever they need it to be.  Opening the library during recess gives provides them another opportunity to access the library in a way that is best suited to their needs of the day.

To make or not to make... (Where I wrestle the word Makerspace)

Initially, I wrote up a schedule for our "Makerspace" but had second thoughts about the title.  In the past, I have felt the need to be true to the "making" part of the programming.  I decided to remove the word so the library could become their Room of Requirement - it could be whatever they need it to be today.  If they need a quiet corner to escape, so be it.  If they need to read jokes and laugh, so be it.  I want the library to be what they NEED it to be.

To launch our "Open Library" I read What If.




I eagerly anticipated this book's publication last year and it didn't disappoint.  When I met Mike Curato at the Massachusetts School Library Association conference, I told him so and shared with him how we were using his other books in our school.  I digress.  My point?  I was so over the moon with this beauty of a book and an opportunity to thank one of its creators in person.

My students are so excited that Mike Curato personalized our copy!

I read.  They "ooh-ed" and "ah-ed."  One class even clapped for the double gatefold!  Then we created.  During our short class time, I offered students two creation choices.  They could choose a Lego challenge (from a stack of Lego challenge cards) or create a bookmark for the Massachusetts School Library Association bookmark contest.  (Many more options exist during recess time).

Lego Challenge cards

Entries for our state's bookmark contest




Students created and got a sneak peek at their future recess options.  Since then, our Open Library has been operating at maximum capacity.  What a way to launch our program!

Scenes from our Open Library:


A student made a zine about how to make a zine

Students teach each other to fold origami bookmarks

Our students LOVE paper!




Magnetic blocks continue to be a favorite in our library


The most low-tech item in our space - cups from the grocery store are favorite building supplies!

Legos (of course)

Students already loved Keva planks, but the Brain Builder cards added a level of challenge



Comments

  1. I have had the library open at recess and lunch for years. Wouldn’t have it any other way. I also open up the library early for Early Bird Readers. The last saves parents some money not having to send them to child care and my young friends get their required daily reading in before school even starts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I had the library open before school for several years as well. Opening our spaces opens opportunity for students. I want them to know this is THEIR library and I want them to find refuge here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Reading Identity: Who am I as a reader?

Books as mirrors and windows (with sticky notes & reflections)!

Emoji Book Titles