Reflecting on our Reading Without Walls Challenge

My favorite picture from my last "Reading Without Walls" post was this which spoke volumes to the power of suggestion and possibility:

Display area wiped clean of books 
We (myself and a parent volunteer) suggested books and they (the students) went with it.  Students read books they normally wouldn't read.  Lonely books traveled off the shelves.

I even extended this challenge to the staff and asked teachers to take the challenge.  Staff members chose a challenge and had their picture taken to be hung on the bulletin board.  I wanted to build a community of readers and show our students that we do this too.



What did "Reading Without Walls" do for us?  I asked.

When we read without walls we
  • learn new things and facts
  • think other things
  • find new favorite books
  • might really hate the book
  • get nervous
  • get excited




I will check in with students periodically to see how they are challenging themselves as readers.  In future weeks I will reference our great work and discoveries made these weeks and see if we might be able to expand on our challenge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reading Identity: Who am I as a reader?

Books as mirrors and windows (with sticky notes & reflections)!

Emoji Book Titles