Celebrating World Read Aloud Day #WRAD17

Reading Aloud

Once again this year I signed my students up to connect with others around the country in celebration of World Read Aloud Day.  I enjoy connecting with friends old and new as we share books with one another.  I especially enjoy when we have a few minutes at the end of a visit to share favorite books.  




Try as I might, I could not find a class to connect with a 3rd grade group of mine, so I turned to my high school colleague, Alice Johnson for help.  She in turn connected with the High School National Honor Society advisor and recruited a lovely, young lady to come join us for our celebration.  We had anticipated a group of students, but 3 snow days hampered our grand plans.  Still, we had a fabulous visit with our High School Librarian, Alice Johnson and a member of the High School Honor Society.

I chose three selections from You Read To Me, I'll Read To You by Mary Ann Hoberman.  I divided the class into three groups and each group had a "coach" that organized the parts and rehearsal.  

High School Librarian, Alice Johnson coaches her readers
National Honor Society member coaches her readers

Groups rehearsed then shared their poem with the class. 

Reading Choices

I offered reading opportunities for students to choose from once we were done with our activity and their books were checked out.  Inspired by World Read Aloud Day, students could:
Read with a stuffed friend
Puppets and stuffed animals (reading buddies)

"Read to self" with a whisper phone

Read with each other using a "big book"

Write about who they love to read to



The week was full of great reading connections and discussions centered around books.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reading Identity: Who am I as a reader?

Books as mirrors and windows (with sticky notes & reflections)!

Emoji Book Titles