1st Grade Wonders & Unite for Literacy

 This year I have been investigating the question, "Who am I as a reader?" with my students in grades 1-5.  In this 1st grade lesson we do a little wondering and investigating to dig deeper into our wonders.  I partnered a picture book and Unite for Literacy.

Standards

AASL: Inquire/Think I.A.1  Formulating questions about a personal interest or a curricular topic

Read I Wonder by K.A. Holt
We began with this read aloud

What do you wonder about?
I asked students to write/draw about this question.

Student work: I wonder about my dog because I love my dog
Student wonders (animals were a common theme).

Student work: I wonder about the moon
We shared these with each other.

I can read or listen to books on Unite for Literacy
At the end of the class we shared what we listened to.


My takeaways

I can not speak highly enough about Unite for Literacy.
  • I love how easy it is to browse.  
  • I love how students can listen!
  • I love that you can read/listen in languages other than English.
A picture book and some book browsing feels so good to me!  I miss the physical browsing, but Unite for Literacy makes it feel *almost* like we are doing that.  Students were excited that they were successful and you could feel their excitement.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reading Identity: Who am I as a reader?

Books as mirrors and windows (with sticky notes & reflections)!

Emoji Book Titles