A literary (but not really) game for distance learning

If you were to pop in on a digital meet I have with students and our music teacher, you might find us going on scavenger hunts or playing Heads Up, but a huge success came last week when I played Bring Your Own Book with our 4th and 5th grade Reader Leaders.

This version has been modified for younger audiences.


I played this game once before and don't own a copy of it, but the website had free prompts (when you put in your e-mail) and I gave it a whirl.  We had a blast!  (This feels like Apples to Apples with a literary spin).

First, I gave all students 30 seconds to go get a book and bring it back.



Next, we declared a "judge" who could still participate, but not "win" the round.

I read the prompt and we all dove into our books to find a phrase that would fit (or send us into fits of laughter).  45 seconds later we shared what we found and the "judge" gave the winning point to the best line.

Examples:

Famous last words
"Gregory, I have been waiting for you..." - The Meltdown by Jeff Kinney

Advice for graduating seniors
"None of us is what you'd call 'normal.'" - Roll With It by Jamie Sumner

Breaking news
"We're gonna have to hide from the women" - Roll With It by Jamie Sumner

Some of our favorite prompts:

  • A hero's catchphrase
  • Sentence in a fortune cookie
  • Alien's 1st words to mankind
  • Secret password to a magical cave
  • Name for a cat

We played so that every person who wanted a turn as "judge" could do so.  We tallied the points and declared a winner.  I declared this activity a winner!

My takeaways

These are the moments that are pulling me through difficult days.  These are the days that make me feel alive again.  I am surviving "teaching from home" but I am living for those opportunities to connect with students.

I started this year focused on relationships.  This is the center of all my digital meetups.  I am not teaching curriculum during these times.  These are opportunities for us to connect with one another, check in, and laugh together.

Our students will remember the blur of days they "learned from home," but honestly how much content will they remember?  I hope what they will remember is that their teachers were there for them.  Their teachers listened to them, cared for them, and reminded them they are loved and missed. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reading Identity: Who am I as a reader?

Books as mirrors and windows (with sticky notes & reflections)!

Emoji Book Titles