Reader Leaders Launch

The Idea

I have had a "library jobs" program for several years and students enjoy helping out in our library, but I wanted to raise the bar and offer the students a more active part in our library program and see them leading projects in and around our school.

We have a Student Council (I am an advisor) but my issue with Student Council has been that it is a position that is elected (translation - popular vote). I wanted to offer a leadership opportunity for those who might not necessarily be elected and for those who feel a particular affinity towards books, reading, and the library.  Inspired by examples of student groups led by Andy Plemmons, Melanie Roy, and Jason Lewis, I dug until I created the bones of a model that felt just right for my school.  Reader Leaders was born.

Recruiting

I created a video to get students' attention. The goal of the video was to introduce the program and build interest.



The Application

Next, students were invited to pick up an application.  I reviewed applications and accepted all 5 that I received. Only 5... well, I knew I had to start somewhere. In all honesty, I would rather start small and have a successful small group.  I can use this year to learn and build and see where this takes us.

One of the applications I received


Badges

These Reader Leaders are special and need to feel so.  Their first task was to create their official badge.  I took their picture and asked them to create a name and slogan.  They could keep their own or go with an alias.   I created badges complete with their library barcode.  These hang in our volunteer corner so when they come to "work" they can wear their official badges.


Reading to Preschoolers

We share a campus with our High School which affords us numerous collaborative opportunities.  One such opportunity is to work with the preschool/childcare program.  (The lead teacher is a former library volunteer).  The Reader Leaders read to the group.  Prior to their visit the Reader Leaders met and learned about selecting books for their audience.  We talked about appropriate books for preschoolers and decided they should be:

  • Fun
  • Short-ish (not too many words on the page)
  • Engaging
The Reader Leaders chose books and practiced reading them to each other.  (Reading a book to others so they can see the pages is tricky when you don't do this for a living).



On the day of the visit my nervous Reader Leaders greeted the class, we broke into smaller groups and they read.  Once they read their selected books, I gave them a pile of books to read/look through.  This turned into spontaneous conversations and great fun.

Reader Leaders read to small groups

Once the formal reading was complete, groups poured over books together.

Reader Leaders helped their new friends bundle up to walk back to their classroom.


When we debriefed, the Reader Leaders admitted that they were nervous, but were pleasantly surprised by how well it went and asked to do it again.  A good time was had by all and we will do this at least two more times this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Reading Identity: Who am I as a reader?

Books as mirrors and windows (with sticky notes & reflections)!

Emoji Book Titles